Church of the Holy Life-giving Trinity attached to the hospital asylum of the Bakhrushins

The Church of the Life-Giving Trinity was planned and built as the central part of an architectural complex. It was a free shelter intended for orphan boys created by brothers Peter, Alexander and Vasily Alekseevich Bakhrushin. The complex is of particularly important as a single architectural, artistic, historical and cultural ensemble of XIX – early XX century. The church in the name of the Life-Giving Trinity was erected in 1901-1903. The church has two lateral limits. The left one is consecrated in the name of the Martyrs Adrian and Natalia, the right one is consecrated in the name of St. Alexy, the man of God. Special mention should be made of the composition located on the arch of the main altar. Its Kiev original source by V.M. Vasnetsov on the ceiling of the main nave of Vladimir Cathedral is called differently: “The Only Begotten Son is the Word of God” or simply “God is the Word”, in accordance with the text of the first lines from the Gospel of John on the scroll. In fact, the traditional medieval image of Jesus Christ Immanuel, which goes back to one of the prophetic names of the Mission, in translation means: “God is with us”. The image of the young beardless Savior is based on Isaiah’s prophecy about the future birth of the Savior: “Behold, the Virgin will conceive and bear a Son, and they will call His name Immanuel” (Isaiah 7:14). Immanuel, surrounded by the symbols of the evangelists, is depicted with a cross in his hand – a prototype of the coming suffering on Calvary. From the preserved archival documents it follows the priest Simeon Ivanovsky served in the church at the City Orphanage named after the Bakhrushin Brothers from 1903 to 1909. There was no church elder, approved by the diocesan authorities. This position was performed by the director of the shelter N.V. Nesmeyanov. The church was closed, and its property was requisitioned in 1922. The domes of the temple and the bell tower were dismantled in the 1970s, and after a while the main porch of the church, made in the Russian style, collapsed. In the 1940s, the building housed an orphanage, and in the 1960s – the publishing house of scientific literature “Mir”. The Church of the Life-Giving Trinity at the former Bakhrushins’ orphanage was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church on January 28, 1999. During the restoration work, which began in 2021, specialists recreated the white stone floors of the temple, the staircase and the central front porch with a tent-like completion.

Address: Moscow, 1st Rizhsky lane, 2, p. 7