Monument to A.P. Chekhov
There is a monument to the great Russian writer Anton Pavlovich Chekhov in a secluded corner of Moscow’s Kamergerskiy Lane. It was opened in celebration of the centenary of the Moscow Art Theater on October 27, 1998. The monument has become an integral part of Moscow. The authors of the monument were the outstanding sculptor M. Anikushin, as well as talented architects M. Posokhin and M. Feldman. The material for the creation of the monument was noble bronze, and the pedestal on which the figure of Chekhov stands is made of durable granite, giving it durability and majesty.
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (1860-1904) was an outstanding Russian writer, playwright, doctor and public figure. A classic of world literature, he held an honorable place in the Imperial Academy of Sciences and left an indelible mark on the history of the world theater. He is the author of more than five hundred works, including the plays “The Seagull”, “Three Sisters” and “The Cherry Orchard”, widely translated into various languages. The novels of A.P. Chekhov, such as “Steppe”, “Duel”, “Ward No. 6”, have become universally recognized classics of world literature. In addition to his literary work, Chekhov actively participated in charity, attaching special importance to helping the hungry, children, peasants and tuberculosis patients. He held responsible positions in charitable societies, organized fundraising for those in need and published texts drawing attention to Russia’s social problems.
Address: Moscow, Kamergersky lane, 2