4th Division of the People’s Militia of the Kuibyshevskiy District of Moscow was Formed in This Building in 1941
The 4th Moscow Division of the People’s Militia was formed in July 1941 in the Kuibyshevskiy district of Moscow. Later, the militia of Khimki, Shchelkovskiy, Lopasnenskiy (now it is the city of Chekhov) and Yegoryevskiy districts of the Moscow Region joined the division. The fighters of this division were employees of the People’s Commissariat of Trade, the People’s Commissariat of Finance, the People’s Commissariat of Light Industry, the State Planning Committee of the RSFSR, the Central Union, the editorial office and publishing house «Moskovskiy Bolshevik», workers of the sewing factory «Krasnaya Shveya» and other enterprises of the district. The division received its baptism of fire at the end of September in the area of Lake Seliger. First really heavy fighting in the Borovsk area at the Mozhaisk line of defense on October 14-20, 1941 turned into losses for the division of more than half of the personnel. Then the division fought its way through the liberation roads in the Moscow, Smolensk regions, Belarus and ended the war in East Prussia, being called the 84th Guards Rifle Karachev Krasnoznamennaya Order of Suvorov 2nd degree division. A memorial plaque has been erected in memory of the formation of the 4th Division of the People’s Militia of the Kuibyshev district of Moscow.
Address: Moscow, Maly Kozlovsky lane, 3