5th Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy District of Moscow was Formed in This Building in 1941
The 5th Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy district of Moscow was formed in early July 1941 from among the volunteer residents and workers of the Frunzenskiy district of Moscow and Krasnokholmskiy district of the Kalinin region. The division was formed at the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages (address: 38, Metrostroevskaya str.) from volunteers – workers, engineers, employees of the Kauchuk and Electrosvet plants, the silk-making factory named after Sverdlov, the Krasnaya Roza silk-weaving combine, the People’s Commissariat of Construction, the Construction Department of the Palace of Soviets and other organizations. A large group consisted of teachers and students of Moscow State Pedagogical Institute, the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages, the 1st and 2nd Moscow State Medical Institutes, the Lomonosov Institute of Fine Chemical Technologies, the Institute of Public Catering Engineers, several technical schools. On the first day of the draft, over 4,500 applications were submitted in the Frunzenskiy district. By September 3, 1941, the division’s personnel, initially numbering 5,685 ordinary soldiers, was replenished with conscripts from the Moscow military District in the amount of 3,490 people. In memory of the formation of the 5th Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy district, a memorial plaque has been installed in Moscow.
Address: Moscow, Ostozhenka str., 38, p. 1