Andrey Anatolyevich Bochvar was an outstanding Soviet scientist, specialist in the field of metallurgy, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, Academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Director of the All-Union Research Institute of Inorganic Materials of the USSR Academy of Sciences, twice Hero of Socialist Labor. In 1923 he graduated from the Chemical faculty of Moscow Higher Technical School and began teaching there. Since 1930 he worked at the Moscow Institute of Non–Ferrous Metals and Gold (since 1931 – professor). In 1923-1924 he improved his education at the University of Göttingen (Germany). Since 1947, he worked at the All-Union Research Institute of Inorganic Materials of the USSR Academy of Sciences (since 1952 – Director), at the same time since 1961 – at the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys. On January 28, 1939, he was elected a corresponding member, and on November 30, 1946 – a full member (Academician) of the USSR Academy of Sciences. In 1946 he was involved in work on the Uranium Project and worked at plant No. 12 in the city of Elektrostal, then he was transferred to the Research Institute–9. In 1948 Andrei Bochvar was appointed the head of the department and scientific director of the plant “B” at the Combine No. 817 for the production of metallic plutonium. In 1948-1949, under his scientific supervision, an alloy of plutonium with specified technical characteristics was obtained at the plant “B” of Combine No. 817. Details of the first nuclear bomb were obtained from it. In 1949 the first Soviet nuclear (atomic) bomb RDS-1 was successfully tested at the Semipalatinsk test site (Kazakhstan). By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR (“closed”) dated October 29, 1949, Andrei Anatolyevich Bochvar was awarded the title of the Hero of Socialist Labor with the award of the Order of Lenin and the Hammer and Sickle gold medal for his work on the creation and testing of the first domestic nuclear charge. In 1953, the first Soviet thermonuclear (hydrogen) bomb RDS-6 was successfully tested at the Semipalatinsk test site. By decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR (“closed”) dated January 4, 1954, Andrei A. Bochvar was awarded the second Hammer and Sickle gold medal for the work on the creation and testing of the first domestic thermonuclear charge.
Address: Moscow, Rogova str., 5A, p. 6