Evgeny Alekseevich Chudakov was a Soviet scientist and teacher, specialist in the field of machine science and automotive technology, academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences (1939, corresponding member, 1933). He was a Winner of two Stalin Prizes of the second degree (1943, 1951). Evgeny Alekseevich Chudakov was born in the Tula Province in the village of Sergievskoye. He joined the Supreme Economic Council with a proposal to create a research organization on automobiles in mid-1918. This initiative was approved, and in November of the same year a group of specialists under the leadership of Evgeny Alekseevich Chudakov organized a Scientific Automotive Laboratory (NAL) at the VSNH. In 1921 on the basis of the laboratory, the Scientific Automotive Institute (NAMI) was established, which began to develop current problems of automobile and automotive technology: engineering new designs of cars and engines, researching used materials, etc. During the entire period of NAMI’s activity, E. A. Chudakov was one of its leaders – Deputy director for the scientific part. The theoretical and experimental work carried out by Chudakov in NAL and US served as the basis for the creation of a new scientific discipline – the theory of the automobile. Evgeny Alekseevich Chudakov was the first to teach courses on cars at Moscow State Technical University and organized a specialized department there. Since 1932, when the Military Academy of Mechanization and Motorization of the Red Army was opened in Moscow, Evgeny Alekseevich Chudakov headed the Department of Automobiles at the Academy for ten years. After the election of Evgeny Alekseevich Chudakov as a corresponding member in 1933, and then as a full member of the USSR Academy of Sciences in 1939, his scientific activity significantly expanded and outgrown the framework of the automotive industry. He dealt with general issues of the development of mechanical engineering and machine science, the study of the productive forces of the country, the problems of the organization of science. By the time he moved to Moscow, the USSR Academy of Sciences referred to his energetic activity in organizing and leading the Commission of Machine Science (1935-1938), on the creation of the Academic Institute of Machine Science, of which he became the director from the first day of its creation. Evgeny Alekseevich Chudakov served as the Vice-President of the Academy of Sciences for more than three years and greatly contributed to the further development of technical sciences at the Academy, the introduction of scientific achievements into the practice of the national economy. As a member of the Council of Scientific and Technical Expertise of the USSR State Planning Committee, he took an active part in drawing up and implementing plans for the introduction of new technology in various branches of mechanical engineering. In 1944, E. A. Chudakov headed the Editorial Board for the publication of the country’s first encyclopedic reference book “Mechanical Engineering”. This fundamental 15-volume edition was carried out in record time — in a few years. Twice – in 1943 and in 1951 – E. A. Chudakov was awarded the Stalin Prizes of the USSR for major scientific works in the field of mechanical engineering. He was also awarded two Orders of Lenin, the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, and medals.
Address: Moscow, 2nd Baumanskaya str., 5, p. 1