Ivan Andreevich Kulichev was the flight commander of the 155th Guards Assault Aviation Regiment, Guard Lieutenant, the Hero of the Soviet Union. He was born on August 29, 1920 at the Upper Baskunchak station of the Krasnoarmeysky district of the Tsaritsyn province (now the Akhtuba district of the Astrakhan region). In 1940 he graduated from the evening labor faculty of Water Transport Engineers. In September 1941 he finished the Moscow Military Aviation School of initial training of pilots, in April 1943 – the Molotov Military Aviation School of pilots (now the city of Perm). He was the participant of the Great Patriotic War. He fought on the Voronezh, Steppe, 2nd and 1st Ukrainian fronts. He participated in the Battle of Kursk, Belgorod-Kharkov, Poltava-Kremenchug, Kirovograd, Korsun-Shevchenko, Uman-Botoshansky, Lviv-Sandomierz, Sandomierz-Silesian, Berlin and Prague operations. In total, he made 178 sorties on an IL-2 attack aircraft to strike at enemy manpower and equipment, shot down 2 enemy aircraft in aerial battles. For the courage and heroism shown in the battles with the Nazi invaders, by Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, Senior Lieutenant Ivan Andreevich Kulichev was awarded the title of the Hero of the Soviet Union with the award of the Order of Lenin and the Gold Star medal. After the war, until 1950, he continued to serve in the Air Force as an air squadron commander of an assault aviation regiment, a senior pilot, an air squadron commander and deputy commander of a bomber aviation regiment (in the Central Group of Troops, Austria). He was the honored Military Pilot of the USSR, Lieutenant General of Aviation. He was awarded the Order of Lenin, 3 Orders of the Red Banner, the Orders of Aleksander Nevsky, the Patriotic War of the 1st and 2nd degrees, 2 Orders of the Red Star, the Order “For Service to the Motherland in the Armed Forces of the USSR” of the 3rd degree, the medal “For Military Merit”, other medals, the Order of the “Renaissance of Poland” 5-th degree, foreign medals.
Address: Moscow, Leningradsky ave., 59