Ludwig Stanislavovich Cherkas was the commander of the machine gun company of the 34th Guards Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 12th Guards Tank Corps of the 2nd Guards Tank Army of the 1st Belorussian Front, a Guard Senior Lieutenant, the Hero of the Soviet Union. He was in the Red Army since June 1941. He joined the 7th Division of the People’s Militia of the Bauman district of Moscow as a volunteer. He fought on the Western, 2nd Ukrainian and 1st Belorussian fronts. In October 1941 he participated in defensive battles south of Vyazma. He came out of the encirclement with fights. In 1942 he graduated from Novograd-Volyn Military Infantry School. He served in a reserve regiment until February 1944. Then he fought in the 16th such corps (from November 1944 – the 12th Guards). He participated in the Uman-Botosan, Lublin-Warsaw and Vistula-Oder operations. He liberated the cities of Uman, Lublin, Demblin, Otvock. He was wounded near Uman. He especially distinguished himself in the battles on the territory of Poland near the capital city of Warsaw. He was a member of the CPSU (b)/CPSU since 1945. The commander of the machine-gun company of the 34th Guards Motorized Rifle Brigade of the Guards, Senior Lieutenant Cherkas, broke into the northern outskirts of the city of Radziejow (Poland) with the company on January 20, 1945 and inflicted significant damage to the enemy in street battles. He was wounded, but did not leave the battlefield. By decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR dated February 27, 1945, Senior Lieutenant Ludwig Stanislavovich Cherkas was awarded the title of the Hero of the Soviet Union with the award of the Order of Lenin and the Gold Star Medal (No. 5741) for exemplary performance of combat missions of the command at the front of the fight against the Nazi invaders and the courage and heroism of the Guard. After the war, Ludwig Cherkas continued to serve in the army. In 1954 he graduated from the Military Academy of Armored and Mechanized Troops. Since 1959, Colonel Ludwig Cherkas was in reserve.
Address: Moscow, Volzhsky Boulevard, 19