Monument to sappers who died during the Great Patriotic War
In the initial period of the Great Patriotic War (1941-1942), a special sapper army was created in the Soviet army, it was the formation of engineering troops of the Red Army of the USSR Armed Forces. The sapper army was intended for the early construction of rear defensive lines, the construction and repair of highways, bridges, the device of barriers (including mine-explosive), as well as the preparation of engineering units for the front. Sapper armies were involved in demining the terrain in the rear areas of the active fronts. The monument is a figure of a soldier-sapper bent in intense attention over a mine being defused. There is an inscription on the pedestal: “Without the right to make a mistake.” An information plaque is installed in front of the monument: “The monument was installed by the decision and at the expense of veterans of the 4th engineer-sapper Uman Red Banner Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky of the Reserve Brigade of the Main Command, cadet officers of military schools of engineering troops, teachers and students of the 17th special school.” There has been a museum of military glory of the 4th engineer-sapper of the Uman Red Banner Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky brigade at school No. 1508 named after Marshal of Engineering Troops M.P. Vorobyov since 1975. The brigade was formed in November 1941 in Kuibyshev and was engaged in the construction of defensive lines, defence factories and government agencies. The brigade in a short time reliably solved the problems of engineering support for forcing such rivers as the Don, the Dnieper, the Southern But, the Dniester, the Prut, the Bystrica, the Tissa and dozens of others. They participated in the liberation of Romania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia from the Nazi invaders.
Address: Moscow, Pervomaiskaya str., 65