Stele dedicated to the feat of the soldiers of the 295th Division
The stele dedicated to the feat of the fighters of the 295th Kherson Rifle Division was installed in 1982 on the territory of School No. 1246. The most severe consequences of the Great Patriotic War for the Soviet Union are its human losses – military personnel and civilians, amounting to 26.6 million people. This figure was obtained as a result of extensive statistical research by demographers and the subsequent work (in the late 80s of the XX century) of the state commission for the clarification of human losses. It was published in a rounded form (“almost 27 million man”) at the solemn meeting of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on May 8, 1990, dedicated to the 45th anniversary of the Victory of the Soviet Union in the Great Patriotic War. The specified number of total human losses (26.6 million people) includes soldiers and partisans killed in battle and died of wounds and diseases, starved to death, civilians were killed during bombing, artillery shelling and punitive actions, prisoners of war shot and tortured in concentration camps, underground workers, as well as workers, peasants and employees, stolen for hard labor. The stele dedicated to the feat of the soldiers of the 295th Division is completely made of granite. In the central part, a rectangular niche was cut with a dedicatory inscription: “In memory of the feat of arms of the soldiers of the 295th Division, the Alley of Glory was laid by veterans and students of school No. 61. 02.10.1982.” The 295th Rifle Division (II formation) was formed in the period from September 20 to September 24, 1941. The division was formed by Colonel A.I. Dorofeev – commander, battalion Commissar Kutovoy – division commissar and Major Gnidenko – Chief of Staff. The real feat of the division’s servicemen was the storming of the city of a large industrial and transport centre, as well as a defence hub fortified on the banks of the Oder and the Warta, called by the German command “the gateway to Berlin”.
Address: Moscow, Open sh., 29A