Units of the 17th Division of the People’s Militia of the Moskvoretskiy District of Moscow Were Formed in This Building in 1941
The 17th Division of the People’s Militia was a military unit of the Red Army of the USSR Armed Forces, which took part in the Great Patriotic War. The division was formed on July 6, 1941 at the Moscow Institute of National Economy named after Plekhanov at the address: Stremyanny Lane, 28. Volunteers from the Moskvoretskiy and Sverdlovskiy districts of Moscow, as well as employees of the Moscow Electromechanical Plant named after Vlladimir Ilyich Lenin (Party Lane, 1), Kozhobedinenie factory (Nizhniye Kotly), Frunze Cotton Factory (Varshavskoe Highway, 9), the First model printing house (Valovaya street, 28), Goznak factory (Pavel Andreev str., 27), M.I. Kalinin worsted spinning factory (Varshavskoe Highway, 25A), Mazevskiy Furniture factory (Dubininskaya str., 68), Gazoapparat plant (Malaya Tulskaya str., 25), Steklomashina plant (Zagorodnoye Highway, 5); Institute of National Economy named after Plekhanov (Stremyanny lane, 28) joined the division. More than 7,000 volunteers have signed up for the People’s militia of the Moskvoretsky district in total. Its first commander was Colonel of the Moscow Military District P.S. Kozlov. On July 9, the division marched through Kaluga Square along the Kaluga and Warsaw highways from Moscow in a south-westerly direction. By the evening of the same day, the division reached a field camp located in the villages of Letovo and Sosenki. In the camp, the division was replenished with volunteers from the Lublinskiy and Kashirskiy districts of the Moscow region, as well as employees of enterprises of the Pavlovskiy Posad. On July 18, the division was transferred to the construction of the Mozhaisk line of defense in the Ilyinskoye –Sergeyevka area. On July 21, weapons, uniforms, and shoes were received. On July 31, after the creation of the Reserve Front, the division as part of the 33rd Army was concentrated in the area of Spas-Demensk. On August 1, the division occupied positions southwest of the Warsaw Highway along the Yablonovo – Podlesnaya – Krisilino – Osinovka line. On August 8, at the village of Palkovo, the division receives banners and takes the oath. On August 26 , the division was transferred on the organization and staff of the reduced rifle division. On September 19, the division was transformed into the 17th Rifle Division. A memorial plaque has been erected in honor of the formation of the unit of the 17th Division of the People’s Militia of the Moskvoretsky district of Moscow.
Address: Moscow, 1st Kazachiy lane, 10, p. 1