1st Rifle Regiment of the 5th Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy District of Moscow was Formed in This School in 1941
The 5th Moscow Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy district was formed at the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages (address: 38, Metrostroevskaya str.). In July 1941, volunteers came here – workers, engineers, employees from the Kauchuk and Electrosvet plants, silk-processing factory named after Sverdlov and the Krasnaya Roza silk-weaving combine, the People’s Commissariat of Construction, the Construction Department of the Palace of Soviets and other organizations and enterprises. A large group consisted of teachers and students of Moscow State Pedagogical Institute, the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages, 1st and 2nd Moscow State Medical Institutes. On July 9, the division marched from Moscow along the Starokaluzhskoye highway to the area of the Katuary station, 30 km away from the capital. On July 19, the division received an order to load into echelons at Vnukovo station and unload in the Balabanovo area. Then its location became the area of the village of Tishnevo near Borovsk. From the Rzhev-Vyazma direction, the division was relocated through Medyn and Yukhnov to the area of the village of Bolshaya Bobrovka. The initial composition of the division: 1st, 2nd, 3rd rifle regiments, 5th reserve rifle regiment, transport company, separate mortar division. On July 30, the division became part of the 33rd Army of the Reserve Front. In early August, the divisions of the People’s militia concentrated in the area of Spas-Demensk, where they were engaged in the construction of defensive lines. Ditches were dug in front of the rifle regiments, battalion defence units and firing points were built. In early September, the division was transferred to the Kirov district of the Smolensk region for the construction of a defensive structure along the Desenka River. On September 26, 1941, in accordance with the Directive of the Deputy People ‘s Commissar of Defence of the USSR of September 19, 1941, all 12 militia divisions of Moscow were reorganized according to the states of the rifle divisions of wartime and received new names. The 5th Rifle Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy district became known as the 113th Rifle Division. In memory of the formation of the 5th reserve rifle Regiment of the 5th Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy district, a memorial plaque has been installed in Moscow.
Address: Moscow, Khilkov lane, 3A