3rd Rifle Regiment of the 5th Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy District of Moscow was Formed in This Building in 1941
The 5th Moscow Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy district was formed at the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages (address: 38 Metrostroevskaya str.). In July 1941, volunteers came here – workers, engineers, employees from the factories «Rubber», «Electric Light», silk-processing factory named after Sverdlov and the silk-weaving combine «Red Rose», the People’s Commissariat of Construction, the Construction Department of the Palace of Soviets and other organizations and enterprises. A large group consisted of teachers and students of the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute named after Lenin, the Moscow State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages, the 1st and 2nd Moscow State Medical Institutes, the Lomonosov Institute of Fine Chemical Technologies, the Institute of Public Catering Engineers, several technical schools. On the first day of the draft, over 4,500 applications were submitted in the Frunzenskiy district. On September 26, 1941 , in accordance with the Directive of the Deputy People ‘s Commissar of Defense of the USSR of September 19 , 1941 , all 12 militia divisions of Moscow were reorganized according to the states of the rifle divisions of wartime and received new names. The 5th Moscow Rifle Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy district became known as the 113th Rifle Division. In memory of the formation of the 3rd Rifle Regiment of the 5th Division of the People’s Militia of the Frunzenskiy district, a memorial plaque has been installed in Moscow.
Address: Moscow, 1st Truzhenikov lane, 18