Arkhip Mikhailovich Lyulka was a scientist, designer of aircraft engines, academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences (1968), head of the Saturn Design Bureau (in the town of Rybinsk), the Hero of Socialist Labor (1957). In 1939-1941 he developed a constructive scheme of a two-circuit turbojet engine, which was a prototype of the existing schemes. He had been the chief designer of OKB-165 since 1946 and created on the basis of a pilot plant, under his leadership the first Soviet turbojet engine TR-1 was created, which passed state tests in February 1947. In subsequent years, under the leadership of Arkhip Mikhailovich Lyulka a number of turbofan engines were created, which were used on the aircraft of P.O. Sukhoi, S.V. Ilyushin, G.M. Beriev, A.N. Tupolev. In the 1950s and 1960s he was a lecturer at the MAI (since 1954 – professor). Since 1957 he has been the general designer of OKB-165. In 1976 the Lyulka OKB team began to create a fourth-generation AL-31F engine for the Su-27 front-line fighter, thanks to which more than 30 world records were set from 1986 to 1988.
Address: Moscow, Protopopovsky lane, 6