Formation headquarters of the 8th Division of the People’s Militia of the Krasnopresnenskiy district of Moscow was located in this building in 1941
During the harsh days of the Great Patriotic War (July 1941), the headquarters of the formation of the 8th Moscow Rifle Division of the People’s Militia of the Krasnopresnenskiy district was located here. The 8th Division was formed from 3 to 6 July 1941. It included workers of the factories «Trekhgornaya Manufactory» and «Proletarian Labor», metalworkers of the Krasnaya Presnya plant, workers of the varnish and paint factory, tramway workers, students and teachers of Moscow State University named after M.V. Lomonosov, MGRI, Tchaikovsky Conservatory, artists of the Theater of the Revolution, writers («Writers’ Company»), workers and employees of the Proletarian district. In addition to Muscovites, volunteers from Kolomenskiy, Zagorskiy, Solnechnogorskiy, Voskresenskiy, Noginskiy and Podolskiy districts of the Moscow Region joined the division. By July 6, 1941, 6 thousand people were called up. The formation of the division took place in the buildings of the regional court and the Faculty of Law of Moscow State University (11 Herzen Street). The 1st Rifle Regiment was located in school № 83 (Strelbischenskiy Lane, 14), school № 89 and school № 95 (37 Zamorenova Street) and clubs of the district. From July 9 to July 10, the regiments of the division left Moscow and settled in the area of Nikolo-Uryupin and Buzlanov. On July 30 , the division departs to the Rzhev-Vyazma line of defense. On August 4, units of the division arrived in Semlevo. A detachment of the division, together with a unit of the 6th Dzerzhinsky Division of the People’s Militia, surrounded and destroyed several groups of enemy paratroopers, including in the area of the village of Dudenka. After the battles near Yelnya on October 6-7, 1941, the division practically ceased to exist: more than half of the personnel were lost, the division was cut off from the main forces. Some of the surviving fighters joined the partisan detachments, some went to their own. Officially, the 8th Moscow Rifle Division of the Krasnopresnensky District People’s Militia was disbanded at the end of November 1941.
Address: Moscow, Zamorenova str., 29