Georgy Konstantinovich
Zhukov

1896-1974


Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov was born in the village of Strelkovka, now in the Kaluga region. He was in military service since 1915. He participated in the First World War. He was awarded two St. George Crosses. He served in the Red Army since 1918. He completed cavalry courses in 1920, advanced training courses for cavalry officers in 1925, and higher command courses in 1930. In the Civil War he took part in the positions of platoon commander, squadron. After the end of the Civil War he commanded a squadron, a cavalry regiment, a brigade, a division, a corps, an army group in the area of the Khalkhin-Gol River (Mongolia), the troops of the Kiev Special Military District. From January to July 1941, he was the chief of the General Staff – this is the Deputy People’s Commissar of Defence of the USSR. During the Great Patriotic War, he was a member of the Supreme Command Headquarters, the First Deputy People’s Commissar of Defence of the USSR and the Deputy Supreme Commander, the commander of the troops of a number of fronts. He participated in the development and implementation of plans of the Supreme High Command and major operations of the war. After the war, he was the Commander–in-Chief of the Group of Soviet Troops in Germany, Ground Forces, Deputy Minister of the Armed Forces of the USSR, Commander of the military districts, First Deputy Minister, and from February 1955 to October 1957 he was the Minister of Defence of the USSR. He was Marshal of the Soviet Union (1943). He was the Hero of the Soviet Union (1939, 1944, 1945, 1956) four times, the Hero of Mongolia. He was awarded 15 orders, including 2 Orders of Victory, Honorary Weapons, as well as many medals and foreign orders.

Address: Moscow, Manezhnaya Square (near the building of the Historical Museum)