Monument to the residents of Kuzminki who died in the defence of Moscow
The monument is a stele of granite painted white, mounted on a pedestal. The Orthodox cross crowns the stele. On the front side of the stele is a bas-relief stylized image of the icon of the Blachernae Mother of God. In the lower part of the stele, the inscription is made in slotted letters: “To the participants of the defence of Moscow in 1941 from the grateful residents of Kuzminki.” The monument was opened on December 5, 2001, in honor of the 60th anniversary of the defeat of the Nazi troops near Moscow. The most severe consequences of the Great Patriotic War for the Soviet Union were its human losses – military personnel and civilians, amounting to 26.6 million humans. This figure was obtained as a result of extensive statistical research by demographers and the subsequent work (in the late 80s of the XX century) of the state commission for the clarification of human losses. It was published in a rounded form (“almost 27 million people”) at a solemn meeting of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on May 8, 1990, dedicated to the 45th anniversary of the Victory of the Soviet Union in the Great Patriotic War. In the specified number of total human losses (26.6 million people) include soldiers and partisans killed in battle and died of wounds and diseases, died of hunger, civilians killed during bombing, artillery shelling and punitive actions, prisoners of war shot and tortured in concentration camps, underground workers, as well as workers, peasants and employees who were stolen for hard labor.
Address: Moscow, Kuzminki district