Monument to veterans of the 2nd Division of the People’s Militia
At the beginning of July 1941, 12 divisions of the People’s militia were formed to help the regular units of the Red Army on a voluntary basis for three to four days. By July 1, 1941, more than 18 thousand applications had been submitted in our (former Stalinsky) district alone. The 2nd Division of the People’s Militia was formed from volunteers. There were no special buildings for the placement or manning of the division’s regiments. So, they occupied the schools (434, 365, 425, 429, 433, 446), Automotive Institute, Bauman town, summer premises of Izmailovsky Park. The 2nd Division of the People’s Militia was formed in the first days of the war from residents, workers and employees of enterprises located on the territory of the Stalinsky district of Moscow. The interfluve of the Dnieper and the Vyazma is the beginning of the combat path of the 2nd Division of the People’s Militia of the Stalinsky district of Moscow. Here, at the turn of Ordylevo–Serezhani, the militia gained a foothold at the end of July 1941. Before that, the fighters and division commanders installed fortifications under the Wedge and on the Kuzminskoye–Teryaeva Sloboda–Lyubyatino section. In early September, the division took up defence in the strip of the villages of Serkovo, Spichino, Yakovlevo. In this section, it covered the approaches to the railway and the Minsk–Smolensk–Moscow highway. The militia steadfastly restrained the enemy who was trying to straddle these important highways. A monument to veterans of the 2nd division of the People’s Militia is installed on 36, Shcherbakovskaya Street, in memory of their feat.
Address: Moscow, Shcherbakovskaya str., 36A