Valentin Petrovich Glushko was one of the pioneers of rocket and space technology, the founder of the domestic rocket engine building, the designer of space systems, the creator of many rocket engines for ballistic missiles and launch vehicles, a member of the Council of Chief Designers for coordinating the creation of rocket and space technology, Academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Technical Sciences, twice Hero of Socialist Labor. He was born in Odessa on September 2, 1908 . In 1929 he graduated from Leningrad State University. As a rocket scientist, he began his career at the GDL (Gas Dynamics Laboratory in Leningrad), where he created the first ORM-1-ORM-52 experimental liquid rocket engines in our country, then worked at the RNII (Jet Research Institute). In 1946-1974 he was the chief designer of OKB-456 (now NPO Energomash named after V.P. Glushko), where many liquid rocket engines were created. Under the leadership of V.P. Glushko, powerful liquid propellants on low-boiling and high-boiling fuels were developed, used in most combat missiles and launch vehicles. In 1974 – 1989 he headed the NGO “Energia”. He was the General Designer of the reusable rocket and space complex Energia-Buran (1988), the Chairman of the Council of Chief Designers. He carried out technical management and coordination of the work of enterprises and organizations of the rocket and space industry. He was the author of many scientific papers on rocket engines and fuels, a full member of the International Academy of Astronautics, twice Hero of Socialist Labor (1956, 1961), Laureate of the Lenin (1957) and State (1967, 1984) Prizes of the USSR. He was awarded five Orders of Lenin, a Gold Medal named after K.E. Tsiolkovsky Academy of Sciences of the USSR (1958), other orders and medals. He was awarded the highest award of the International Aviation Federation – the diploma of P. Tissandier (1967). A crater on the visible side of the moon, minor planet No. 6357, NPO Energomash, streets, an airplane and monuments have been named after him.
Address: Moscow, Cosmopark