Memorial plaque in memory of the location of the Air defense headquarters and command post during the Great Patriotic War
During the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945), the headquarters and command post of the local air defense of the city of Moscow – the center for eliminating the consequences of nazi air raids – were located here. The center initiated the formation of the capital’s security system in 1937, thanks to which, by the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, headquarters had already been established in every district of Moscow. They numbered up to 650 thousand fighters as part of emergency recovery regiments, fire-fighting teams, medical companies and other formations. The participants of the local air defense of Moscow made a significant contribution to the defense of the capital, which lasted from September 30, 1941 to April 20, 1942. A large number of local air defense fighters were sent to the front as part of the people’s militia, the population participated in the construction of defensive fortifications, the elimination of the consequences of air raids, and the maintenance of enterprises.
Address: Moscow, Tverskaya street, 8, bldg. 2