The building that housed the hospital for wounded soldiers of the Soviet Army
During the Great Patriotic War this building housed a hospital for wounded soldiers of the Soviet Army. During the Great Patriotic War there were sorting and evacuation hospitals (SEG) that sorted the wounded arriving at the hospital base of the front by evacuation hospitals, and control and evacuation hospitals (CEG) that controlled the correctness of the selection and preparation for the evacuation of the wounded and sick soldiers outside this hospital base. Evacuation hospitals were deployed with a capacity of 200-2000 beds in groups of 10-15 hospitals in one or several adjacent settlements in adapted premises (most often public, such as schools, theatres, and so on) and were under the operational control of evacuation centers. Each evacuation hospital consisted of management, medical and diagnostic departments, pharmacies, service units and material support. The main tasks of the evacuation hospital were reception, accommodation, medical sorting, sanitary (special) treatment of the wounded and sick soldiers; providing them with specialized medical care and their subsequent treatment; preparing for the evacuation of the wounded and patients requiring long-term specialized treatment. From 1941 to 1945, more than 6,000 evacuation hospitals were formed. Doctors and nurses who worked in hospitals for wounded soldiers performed a real feat. Over the years of the war, thanks to medical personnel, more than 70% of the wounded soldiers and more than 90% of the sick fighters returned to service. 116 thousand doctors were awarded orders and medals. 47 of them became Heroes of the Soviet Union, 17 of whom were women. In memory of the feat of doctors and nurses who worked during the Great Patriotic War in hospitals for wounded soldiers of the Soviet Army, a memorial plaque was installed on the building that housed one of these hospitals. It is made of dark gray granite, the inscription is carved on it: «From the first days of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945, a hospital for wounded soldiers of the Soviet Army was located in this building».
Address: Moscow, Yauzskaya alley, 2, p. 2